The best practice to handle this scenario in Yanomo:
- Manually create an invoice for the deposit, and send it to the client.
- Create a project for this client with a budget that equals the deposit.
- When making expenses or doing actual work for this client, log those activities to this project.
- As soon as budget runs out for this project, go back to the original invoice and link the expenses/ hours to the invoice. You can do this with the link / unlink button all the way down on the invoice page.
- From here on, you can create a new project / budget and log subsequent expenses / hours to that. You can also automatically create any subsequent invoices directly from these hours / expenses.